Connecting children and adults with Boone County's heritage
1881 - 1916
As the area developed, with settlers, roads and a changing commerce, the settlement moved away from the creek to the nearby roadway, currently State Road 267. Beginning in the 1830s the settled community became known as Fayette. However, it was recognized as the "White Lick Post Town" until 1903 by the U.S. Post Office Department.
John B. Howard was an original settler to White Lick/Fayette. Howard cleared land for a farm and in March, 1937, purchased 80 acres, from the federal government, including the land where Howard School was later to be located.
John Howard became a prominent member of the community. He is the first person found listed as trustee for Perry Township.
Although the White Lick/Fayette communit had numberous churches and businesses, including blacksmiths, doctors and merchants, Perry Township was and still remains a rural farming township. The first Perry Township subscription school, which required students to pay for services, was established in 1836. There were also some other early private schools. The public school system began to function after the Indiana General Assembly passed the 1852 school law. The current brick building replaced an eaerlier wooden school building built after passage of the 1852 law.
The original wood framed Howard School building was likely one of three erected in 1855, since it was designated No. 1, served the township's most populated area and was located on the land of John B. Howard, who was likely Trustee. Because the Boone County Courthouse burned in 1856, original documentation for the first school was lost. State School Examiner Reports show in 1854 there were no schools and no teachers in Perry Township. An 1855 examiner's report shows three frame schools were erected. The report for 1857 shows four public schools in "good" condition.
The current brick Howard School building was most likely constructed in 1881. An early Boone County School Superintendent directed old school records covering 40 years following the year 1873 be taken from his office and a storage room to be destroyed. No records which specifically relate to construction of the existing building were found. State Examiner Reports show all township school building were frame through 1878; but brick buildings were being constructed. Newspaper articles describe construction of the brick school at Fayette in 1881.
Howard School served the White Lick/Fayette community for educational and gathering purposes until 1916. Gathering purposes included "singings" and "Moot courts" along with family dinners and activities associated with the school. The year 1916 marked the end of the district school system in Perry Township. Alumna Hazel Tharp says she and other children left Howard School for Christmas vacation i n1916 and returned to the consolidated Perry Central school.
The Howard School Restoration Group wishes to express a very special thank you to all of the citizens and organizations which donated their time, skills and treasure to making the restoration of the schoolhouse possible.
These exceptionally helpful organizations throughout the project include:
Pittsboro One Room School for serving as our our mentors and friends.
Community Foundation of Boone County for financial support including management of financial accounts, payments, deposits and correspondence to donors.
Country School Association of America (CSAA) for training and consultation.
Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology for recognition of Howard School's significance and helping to secure its listing as a state an dnational historic site.
Indiana Landmarks Foundation for guidance, consultation and direct involvement in admiistrative affairs when required.